Saturday, October 31, 2009

Orphan Sunday, 11/8: Something that involves my life


Orphan Sunday is coming up on November 8. Thinking about this sent me into my memories of adopting Talitha.

Our family was heavily involved in the pro-life movement through the years when rescues were a main public way of protesting abortion. Johnny spent one weekend in the county workhouse after being arrested while sitting in front of an abortion clinic. Another time we had to pick up our son, Benjamin, from the police department and go to court with him. He and some friends had been hauled in for chaining themselves to a clinic door to block it. Our younger children and I had spent many hours walking silently and praying.

As important as those things were, I began to dream of doing something pro-life that involved more of my life. When friends with teenagers adopted a baby boy, that spoke to my heart.

One day that adoptive father told me about a baby boy who was waiting for placement. I told Johnny about it right away, sure that he would feel just as strongly as I did that we should bring that baby into our home. He didn't.

I didn't take into account that I'd been thinking about this a lot, but it was a new idea to him.

(to be continued)

4 comments:

Betsy Markman said...

I really look forward to reading your story!

Marla Taviano said...

Oooh, can't wait to hear the rest! I was just talking yesterday on my blog about what can we do to help AFTER we save a baby from abortion? Adoption is the most logical (biggest, hardest) answer. I am sooo looking forward to hearing your story.

dorothy said...

So funny! I was telling someone at church on Sunday about JP posting T's baby photo on his office door and confusing all of us because we had no idea yet that adoption was buzzing around your home....I think it was the old MICAH video (2000)that sparked the memories.

Beautiful Mess said...

Thank you for telling your story! It has blessed me SO much!

Jen