Friday, October 30, 2009

We'd never do that


"We'd never do something like that at my regular Curves." I was looking at the "Prayer Requests" white board on the wall at the Curves I visited in Georgia this summer.

The Curves employee was astounded. "Why not?" Standing there in small-town Bible Belt America, I found it hard to explain Minneapolis political/spiritual correctness.

Today, though, I had two reasons to rethink my certainty that "we would never do something like that."

1. When I arrived at Curves this morning, I was the only one there so far to workout. When the attendant saw me coming, she changed the music (which is never offensive anyway) to worship music with a beat.

2. After I'd finished my workout and was getting ready to leave, she asked if I could wait 30 seconds. She copied a page from a book, highlighted a couple of lines and handed it to me.

The book was the Bible, and the lines were: "I am the Lord your God, and there is no other. My people will never be ashamed again." (Joel 2:27)

2 comments:

Bryan said...

What verse is that?

Thanks for sharing.

Noel said...

Oops. Now the reference is included.