Thursday, February 5, 2009

Mal's Story, Part 1: Plan My Funeral


Mal Hasty lives near Dallas, Texas. Here today is the first part of the story of God bringing him to the 2009 Cameroon Harvest Project.


By Mal Hasty, team member


On December 28, 2004, I got up, dressed to go somewhere and was a little early.  So I sat in my comfortable chair to read the newspaper, but I felt like I was going to throw up.  


Three times I went into the bathroom but nothing happened.  The last time I felt strongly that if I had to do this again I wouldn't have the strength to get up. 


I also had a fairly sharp pain at a point between my left shoulder and my heart.  All I could imagine was that I was having a heart attack. 


At the emergency room, I told them my thoughts about a heart attack and they pursued that possibility immediately and stayed on that search for many hours. They declared my heart to be in very good shape. 


When they spread the search, they found that I had an infection, invasive streptococcus A. They cut my abdomen open to try to find the source, but found nothing. My son pointed out a blistery looking place on my left shoulder. They did a biopsy and they had found the source.  


During this time they put me into an induced coma which lasted until the first week in February, more than a month after I was first struck. The antibiotics didn't work. My fever was going up. My vital organs were shutting down.


The medical personnel told my adult children that they should begin planning my funeral.


(Be sure to see Part 2 and Part 3.)



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Praise God. My sweet father-in-laws testimony is on line to touch even more lives for God's glory.