Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Thanksgiving for Mentors


Across the street from our house is the convergence of I-94 and I-35W--many lanes of freeway. On the fence that separates our street from the freeway are vines of tiny wild grapes. At least that's what they look like.

Anyway, I just cut a few lengths of vine to use as the main part of our Thanksgiving centerpiece tomorrow. Walking back into the house, I realized that dried hydrangea blossoms from our border will probably be all I need to complete the arrangement.

So I'm feeling rather Edith Schaeffer-ish this morning.

And that reminds me how thankful I am for all the women who have been my mentors, both the ones I have lived with or known personally and the ones who have mentored me through their writing and speaking.

(I'll post a picture of the table and centerpiece when we see how it works out.)

4 comments:

WhiteStone said...

Sounds lovely! BTW, Those wild grapes (provided they have not been sprayed with chemicals) make good juice and jell.

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

I have long thought what it will be like to meet Edith someday as so many of us (especially our generation) will be thanking her for being our mentor.

I came from a nonChristian home (became a Christian during the Jesus Movement) and I learned about homemaking from Edith's books. :)

May YOU be blessed as YOU have blessed us, too.

Lou Ann said...

Amen. Edith Shaeffer books I devoured as a young believer and then a young pastor's wife. She is followed closely by Elisabeth Elliot Gren, a friend Donna (though miles away mentored me through her letters and our infrequent visits), the many Elder's wives at Grace Community when also a young bride and then new mom, and many, many more....a heart felt Thanks! I am so thankful to the Lord for books and conferences on tape or radio that have enabled women like me to learn so much. Looking forward to seeing final photos of your study and the centerpiece. You have inspired me to dig out of the chaos and clutter (hidden in closets and basement and shuffled around when necessary).

Lou Ann said...

As I thought more about your post, I had to add that I am sure many would list you as a mentor they are thankful for. Your writings, your speaking opportunities, have taught us much. I have lots of creches since reading your book when it first came out. I also want to add, Betty Price, who taught me much as a single woman and now is also impacting my daughter's life.